MechanicsPosted by gduhem Sun, January 23, 2011 00:26:00
I discovered during this summer a "new" problem, not so new as this could be guessed by looking at the wheels and axles: a brake fluid leakage...
Something quite serious, as the brake fluid tank was completely empty.
I decided to translate the information about brakes in the user manual and service book. bought some parts (brake fluid DOT4, brake cups for master brake cylinder and wheel cylinders), all this to prepare the repair.
I found the parts from http://www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk/. These can be seen on the "bought parts" pages.
Well, I (at last) put the car on 4 jack stands (useful for the care of the tyres), and to check.
to remove the parts was really easy. I didn't expect so.
the wheel cylinder is oily... Not really good...
but the upper brake cylinder seems in good shape:
but the friction lining is oily...
And the lower brake cylinder is really leaking...
The next step is to do the same for the other wheels. To be continued so...
MechanicsPosted by gduhem Wed, June 11, 2008 20:14:35
I have some documents I found or bought from the internet.
Feel free to contact me if you need a copy or information about these.
Here is the list:
User manual: “Raptgbil915 Beskrivning I”
Pdf : 4,5 Mb
The service book: “Beskrivning av Radiopersonterrängbil 915 Del II”
The spare parts catalog: “Reservdelskatalog Radiopersonterrängbil 915- M5180 915001 (Volvo TP2104)”
Pdf : 42Mb
The general handbook for complete data: “Specifikationer för Radiopersonterrängbil 915 och Personterrängbil 935 (VOLVOTP21)”
Pdf : 12Mb, nice gift from Jonas, owner of a really beautiful military volvocars collection!!
MechanicsPosted by gduhem Tue, May 27, 2008 23:14:53
The first time I visited Andrew in Newcastle I discovered an ED Engine with the head gasket removed.
Andrew explained me at the telephone he had an important problem with the engine. A connecting rod broke in the engine, causing therefore severe damages on the piston (destroyed) then cylinder (…) and, as I discovered later, the crankshaft!!.
He was rebuilding the engine this first time I went to Prudhoe. No matter, I preferred that. To see the engine, the way he was working on it, and so on…
The Sugga was conserved in a small garage (not easy to inspect everything I would have to)? I remember This nice week-end. Lauren, his wife and he were very gentle with me, offering me a great lunch!
I discovered a Sugga who seemed in nice condition (with the nice details I was looking for such as the bicycle holder, radio table, safety belts…). The MOT (English requested technical inspection) wasn’t done, and therefore it was not authorized to be driven on road. Andrew, as policeman, didn’t allowed me to drive it.
The second time I went to Newcastle was after Andrew rebuilt it. This made me hearing the engine running and inspecting the oil pressure, temperature, exhaust fumes and noises, of course!!
At this time I would have been worried by the noises and fumes while engine running. A clacking noise appeared, when accelerating, with light blue smoke… Not really funny.
After having bought the Sugga, I drove it 3-4 times (including one cross-country trip, crazy am I!!!) the noise was too alarming me. I was right, the connecting rod bearings of the piston Andrew repaired were destroyed due to the scratches occurred with the broken connecting rod…
Before discovering this, I flushed the oil in the engine… Damned!! I never saw so much metallic particles in an engine oil (a 1cm thickness layer in the bottom!!) this means for me every part of the engine was potentially contaminated and therefore, could be worn…
I dismantle the engine, discovering the damages, on the rods,
On the crankshaft, major scratches or impacts (due to the rod rupture and metallic particles in the oil)
And burned aeras.
At this step, I asked a family know garageman for an advice. He described me what would have to be done for repairing the engine… I finally decided to change the engine for an “as new” one and began to look for one, as I did for finding my Sugga : internet with www.tradera.com, www.blocket.se, forums and all the owners with a blog or website.
I asked Morten Syntelien for one. He told me having a nice one, with only few hundreds working hours. It was used in a firepump such as this one.
Morten sent me pictures and a small video regarding the temperature, pressure and noise.
I must say I worked with Morten by believing him. And no regrets at all!! Morten knows a lot (if that’s not everything) about the Volvo Raptgbil 915 Sugga. Even we don’t speak as often I would like, I often appreciate reading him and looking on his website : http://www.tp21.org/.
Well, I decided to buy the engine he proposed me. He managed the transport and I received my gift in a special box from Norway, an engine perfectly packed!!
The Sugga is my first classic car. I’m a perfect rookie in mechanics. Therefore I changed the engine with the help of a garage (specialized in farm vehicles), a nice garageman, Mr DUHAMEL and his son (on the next picture). They helped me with the place, tools and know-how, even with such an unknown car. All the customers who came in the garage at this time were surprised by it. As it is the country-side, some hunters were interested for using it, with the helpful open roof!!!
Here are some pictures of this operation. This took me 3 days. The garage doesn’t look like a garage for Ferraris but this was and is still perfect!
This was amazing, removing the old engine, the accesories, placing the new one inside the bay, fastening all, and then, magic instant, when you turn the contact on, and push the ignition button. Magic, when you listen the engine turning, warming with a perfect noise…
I’m happy to have done this with the help of Morten. I think with this new engine, if I well do the maintenance, my Sugga is now well equipped, and for a long time!!